How do you feel when you check-off one of your goals? Setting goals and achieving them in a timely manner use to be a struggle for me until I created a structure around my goals. So what are great goals and how do you create S.M.A.R.T. goals?
GREAT Goals are:
- Outcome focused: Once you understand your WHY (and it’s an enthusiastic WHY) you’re 90% there!
- In line with your values: The more a goal aligns with your inner or core values – the EASIER it will be to NOTE: We can achieve goals that don’t align with our values but it’s harder to do and less satisfying.
- Stated in the positive: “I want to increase sales” rather than “I want to stop doing things that take away from sales activity”
Specific (so you know exactly what you’re trying to achieve)
Measurable (so you know when you’ve achieved it!)
Action-oriented (so you can DO something about it!)
Realistic (so it IS achievable) and
Time-Bound (has a deadline)
Focusing on the Outcome:
- What is it that you really, REALLY want? Dig deep…
- What is the SPECIFIC outcome you’re looking for?
- What is the PAIN for you of NOT achieving your goal?
Aligning with your Values:
- Is this goal in line with your life vision/overall life-plan? (Don’t know – what does your gut tell you?)
- Is this goal in line with your values? (Unsure? Ask yourself what’s REALLY important to you in life – will this goal help you achieve more of that?)
- Are the goals something YOU truly want, or are they something you think you SHOULD have or SHOULD be doing? (Tip: If it is a SHOULD, it may be someone else’s dream…)
- When you think about your goal does it give you a sense of deep contentment or ‘rightness’, happiness and/or excitement? (If so, these are good signs that it’s a healthy goal.)
- If you could have the goal RIGHT NOW – would you take it? (If not, why not? What issues are there?)
- How does this goal fit into your life/lifestyle? (Time/effort/commitments/who else might be impacted?)
Can YOU start & maintain this goal/outcome? (ie. Do you have complete control over achieving it?)
- How will making this change affect other aspects of your life? (ie. What else might you need to deal with?)
- What’s good about your CURRENT SITUATION? (ie. What’s the benefit of staying right where you are?) Then ask, how can I keep those good aspects while STILL making this change?
- WHAT might you have to give up/stop doing to achieve this goal? (Essentially, what’s the price of making this change – and are you willing to pay it?)
If there was something important around achieving this goal (to help you succeed, or that could get in the way) that you haven’t mentioned yet, what would it be?
- WHO will you have to BE to achieve this goal?
Is your goal the right size to be working on?
Too big? Break down into smaller goals. Too small? Fit into a larger goal.
- What would be the MINIMUM/Super-Easy level of the goal to achieve?
What would be your TARGET level of the goal to achieve?
What would be your EXTRAORDINARY level of the goal to achieve?
Resources – get moving:
What RESOURCES do you already have to help you achieve your goal? Make a list! (eg. things, support from people, contacts, personal qualities, knowledge, skills, money, time etc).
- What RESOURCES do you NEED to help you achieve your goal? Make a list!
IMPORTANT: REMEMBER – GOALS are there to INSPIRE YOU not to beat yourself up with!